History of Edwardsville
Edwardsville became incorporated as an official borough on June 16, 1884. It was actually settled one hundred and sixteen years prior to this date by folks from Connecticut.
At the time of the incorporation in 1884 three wards were formed. Two men from each ward were elected. With the growth of the population in 1900, three more wards were added, making a total of six wards and twelve council members.
In 1905 the seventh ward was created making a council of fourteen. In 1962
the court granted a petition to decrease the council to seven. This is the makeup of the governing body of the Edwardsville borough today along with the mayor. In 2006 the seven wards were recreated to form three larger wards which are the boroughs present state. Edwardsville is the 11th congressional district and the 119th legislative district.
The current population of the Edwardsville borough is 4,984. It is approximately 1.2 square miles.
Edwardsville is mainly a residential area but does have a commercial district with 3 major shopping centers. The main street also is known for a few legendary restaurants.
For recreation, the borough has 3 beautiful parks. One of these parks, the John J. Hopkins Memorial Park consists of nearly 8 acres and is used for many local sporting events.
Edwardsville is a wonderful place to live, shop, and visit.